[Tfug] rsync question

John Gruenenfelder johng at as.arizona.edu
Thu Apr 3 12:16:35 MST 2008

On Thu, Apr 03, 2008 at 10:03:24AM -0700, Nate wrote:

Hi Nate,

>I see this quite often because rsync has 2 distinct phases.  The first
>phase is the filesystem traversal.  It's where it gathers information on
>what files are on the local and remote sides.  Then the next phase is
>the sync'ing part to make the remote look like the local or vise versa
>depending on how you're using it.  So I see this error when a file gets
>deleted between the time that it did phase one and phase two.  It says
>the file should be there, but it isn't.  So it's basically a race
>condition.  If you run rsync again, it shouldn't output the same error
>if it's what I'm thinking it is.  I could be completely off, though..

You're close.  I get this error on occasion too, for precisely the reasons you
mention.  /var is included in the snapshot process so every now and then there
will be files in Exim's outgoing spool which are quite transient.

However, rsync signals this issue with a different message saying that file X
has disappeared.

For these particular link_stat errors, the file/link path involved is the same
every time.

>rsync can be a complicated beast with devils in all the details.

Indeed it is...

--
--John Gruenenfelder    Research Assistant, UMass Amherst student
                        Systems Manager, MKS Imaging Technology, LLC.