[Tfug] rsync question

John Gruenenfelder johng at as.arizona.edu
Wed Apr 2 20:32:26 MST 2008

On Wed, Apr 02, 2008 at 07:21:28PM -0700, Tom Rini wrote:
>On Wed, Apr 02, 2008 at 05:02:15PM -0700, John Gruenenfelder wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I use rsync as part of my scripted bi-hourly snapshot process on a
>> multi-user machine.  Since it is multi-user, many of the files are owned by
>> others and I don't need to or want to care about things like broken links.
>> However, after one user cleaned up a bunch of his files, my script is now
>> giving errors like:
>>
>> rsync: link_stat "/d1/matlab/nmilton/fourier" (in root) failed: No such file
>> or directory (2)
>
>Is this perhaps a hard link and you need -aH ?  Just off the top of my
>head..

In this case, the source filesystem (where the supposed bad link lies) is
different from the /d1 filesystem.  So there can't be any hard links.

Also, aren't UNIX filesystem semantics such that you can't have broken hard
links?  (again, this supposes that the root problem really is a broken link of
some sort)

--
--John Gruenenfelder    Research Assistant, UMass Amherst student
                        Systems Manager, MKS Imaging Technology, LLC.