[Tfug] OT: Predrag wants attention! WAS: Re: Server Compromise

William Stott WStott at ventanamed.com
Thu Sep 27 21:07:21 MST 2007

Wow. I concur completely. I am a huge fan of BSD also, but everyone in infosec knows that 0day is a reality. As far as openbsd, I believe a remote exploit was introduced at the last blackhat / defcon convention. Th firewall comment he made was a waste. If you allow a connection to a public service, it has the established only or not, you chance the the application to exploitation. It is naïve to think that a firewall and a BSD system are the answers to security. If you are a sysadmin, defend what you can, patch what you can, and pray. Predrag either has been a lucky admin, or has no clue what he is talking about. Sysadmins are overworked, underpaid, and have much less time to secure their systems then hackers do downloading the next script that some hacker created between lunch and wow.

Good luck.

Will