[Tfug] Video Kiosk

Sean Warburton hl2addict at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 14:01:06 MST 2007

I think VLC player works wonders. I know it works over LANs, because I made
a simple music (and even video) server out of an old computer and all the
computers on the network could open VLC and pick up the stream. I am not
sure about over the internet, but maybe the hospital would let you use .001%
of their big servers (you know they have them, somewhere...) to host these
videos. Just a thought...
     Sean

On 9/26/07, Tim Ottinger <tottinge at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sound right to me.  I think you can script the players easily enough.  Any
> good streaming video servers out there? PPT or Impress to video
> converters?
> I bet this would not be too bad.  It would be fun to try to work it out.
>

> On 9/22/07, Bexley Hall <bexley401 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > --- George Cohn <gwcohn at simplybits.net> wrote:
> >
> > > I've been asked by a friend who works at a hospital
> > > if it would be
> > > possible to create a stand alone computer system
> > > that would play some
> > > patient education videos.
> > >
> > > The videos would be short 10 - 15 minute bits played
> > > from the hard drive
> > > with something like mplayer.  Between the videos,
> > > the machine would show
> > > a slide show presentation of information, something
> > > like a power point
> > > presentation.
> > >
> > > The only difficult part of putting this together is
> > > a front end that
> > > would allow the staff to program the times that the
> > > videos played, IE:
> > > Play video one at 8 AM, when it ends, switch to the
> > > slide presentation
> > > until 8:30 AM, play second video, etc.
> > >
> > > Anyone have any thoughts on GNU software that could
> > > be cobbled together
> > > to do this?  Preferably Debian or Ubuntu as that's
> > > what I'm most
> > > familiar with.  Or anyone want to develop this as a
> > > commercial product?
> >
> > I've been using Inferno to build simple kiosks.
> > Biggest problem has been getting "donated" hardware
> > to work with ??? software (e.g., when you don't have
> > control over drivers, etc.)
> >
> > You could probably hack something together to parse
> > a simple "schedule" file that users could set up with
> > a text editor, etc.
> >
> > Inferno's *hosted* (Linux, Solaris, WindBlows, etc.)
> > performance isn't spectacular but you'r just looking
> > for a simple "scripting" application.
> >
> > www.vitanuova.com (IIRC)
> >
> > HTH,
> > --don