[Tfug] Yet another poser

jblais joe.blais at pti-instruments.com
Thu Sep 27 10:14:14 MST 2007

Yes, I have some too. But that's what I mean, signal and power on the same
pair.  Isn't that what the POE may be doing?

> Telecom is different.  The single pair, green = tip, red = ring, was not
> grounded.  However, they did go through a lightning arrestor and it did
> have a ground wire.  Sometimes they use white = green and blue = red.

Perhaps it was an arrestor!!! But cleaning the wires fixed the problem !

> BTW, the positive or red side is signal ground at the central office.
> Conceivably they could have used just one wire but it potentially would
> be very noisy due to the resistance of "ground" at the customer premise.
>
> The terms tip and ring come from the old cord board days when the
> operator had to plug in a patch cord to connect parties.  The cord
> actually had three contacts, tip on the very end, ring was next, then
> sleeve was closest to the cord.

I almost got a an old 30-line "shelf", but the AT&T guy ended up with it!

> In the old days of party lines, IE more than one subscriber on a pair,
> they often used various methods for the bell.  On one party it might be
> connected to tip and ground, on another ring and ground, on a third it
> might be bridged across tip and ring, and they even used harmonic
> ringers that responded to different frequencies for 4 to 8 party lines.

Yes, we'd pick up the phone and listen if someone was already talking,
before we could call.  I forget what our ring was, something like 2 longs
and a short.  I forget if the phone had a dial or not, we may just have
clicked the receiver to get the operator.