[Tfug] speakers

Sean Warburton hl2addict at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 06:54:45 MST 2007

while all this is interesting when approached from the long term health
effects viewpoint, it doesn't really help the original creator of this
thread:)
Take a look at the Creative Inspire 5200 (or something like that). They are
only 5.1, but in a smaller room, they can really give you a respectable
decibel-dollar ratio...and they are surprisingly clear and defined. If you
listen to classical, these speakers are what you would use if you wanted to
hear the third row viola in the the San Fransisco orchestra (god forbid I
start another tangent about international orchestras...:) It just depends on
what you are looking for. Cerwin Vegas are incredible and actually have a
nice sin output (you know, when you hook a oscilloscope up to it and turn it
up, the wave doesn't flatten near the anti nodes, like cheaper speakers do)
 http://www.cerwinvega.com/VE12F.php    (get a bunch of those)
For surround sound, Bose is nice, but they aren't nice to pay for...So what
exactly ARE you looking for? You mentioned hosting raves in your house,
right? :)
      Sean

On 9/25/07, Tim Ottinger <tottinge at gmail.com> wrote:

> This is true.  Progression of badness:
>   in one ear, one earbud dangling (dangerous)
>   in ear
>   on ear
>   over ear with foam isolation padding
>   speakers across the room
>
> Sound bounces off your ears normally.  Earbuds go straight into the canal,
> which is more dangerous. You want to diffuse it a bit.
>
> Loud is always more dangerous than quiet, and the loss in hearing is
> absolutely permanent.  It will not grow back later.  Sadly, your brain is
> good at interpolating, so you lose accuracy in hearing before you notice
> loss of sound and range.  By the time you notice, you may be permanently
> damaged. If you play guitar (like I do) then you have to be extra careful.
> You may need to use Hear-Os for stage.  I have already taken a little
> damage.
>
> In the case of leaving one earbud dangling, be sure to set the volume with
> both on, and ignore the fact that it sounds half as loud with one out.
> People who listen with one ear are finding about a 40% hearing loss in the
> music-listening ear in just the space of a year or so.
>
> If you
>
> On 9/25/07, Jeffry Johnston <tfug at kidsquid.com> wrote:
> >
> > Careful, it's easy to mess up your hearing even faster with
> > headphones.  The
> > advice they give in the instructions is good: Set the volume to a
> > comfortable level when you first start listening and then leave it
> > there.  I
> > also avoid using headphones in the car because there is noise and I end
> up
> > turning it up louder than I should be.
> >
> > Jeff

FreeBSD v.1.4 (beta)