[Tfug] Yet another poser

Chris Martin themonkeymoo at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 16:20:56 MST 2007

Bexley Hall wrote:

> It's a cakewalk to turn one of these "RJ45 widgets"
> into a "crossover" widget.  I.e. swap pins 1&3
> and 2&6, then glue the thing back together.

    I have a commercially produced widget of exactly this variety. I
tacked it onto an order I was placing at tigerdirect (I know, not the
best place, but it was the only place I could find what I was looking
for). I don't even remember what my primary order was, but I happened to
notice the crossover adapter and thought "wow, that might just come in
handy someday" so I bought it (it has, often enough that it has a
permanent home in my bag).
    Anyway, it happens to have a clear male connector (the female side
is encased entirely in orange plastic) and from what I can see the male
connector is rotated 180 degrees relative to the female connector (thus
reversing the pin order entirely. I'm not sure if that's normal or not;
I've never actually looked closely enough at cat-5 or assembled my own,
but it seems to me that it would be essential for a normal ethernet
cable to have the ends oriented thusly). Most of the wires (all 4 pairs
of which are present) appear to go straight through.