[Tfug] speakers

Ryan Cresawn jrcresawn at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 13:14:37 MST 2007

On 9/25/07, Jeffry Johnston <tfug at kidsquid.com> wrote:
> Careful, it's easy to mess up your hearing even faster with headphones.  The
> advice they give in the instructions is good: Set the volume to a
> comfortable level when you first start listening and then leave it there.  I
> also avoid using headphones in the car because there is noise and I end up
> turning it up louder than I should be.
>
> Jeff

Let's not overlook the increased risk of being involved in an accident
while operating a car and listening to music with headphones.
Headphones make a person less aware of his/her surroundings.  I see a
lot of cyclists with the trademark white iPod earbuds and it really
worries me.  I know how dangerous it is to ride a bicycle on streets
with cars and all my senses in good order.  I wonder if next we will
see cyclists with welding goggles.

But the point Jeff brings up of is good because if drivers are wearing
headphones there is little hope of them ever hearing my little bicycle
bell.

Ryan