[Tfug] Ubuntu questions

Malcolm Schmerl mjs355 at comcast.net
Mon Sep 24 21:49:51 MST 2007

christopher floess wrote:
>> good alternative is to get an external modem that has its own
>> controller. These are readily available on ebay for about $10.
>>

> How does one identify these modems? I was never able to
> figure that out ~ Chris

In  general, winmodems which require drivers and use the cpu, are
internal pci cards and can be identified by the two regular telephone
jack on them. External modems, which plug into the serial port or a usb
port, generally do not require software installed and work immediatly
when plugged in. BTW, since they do not use computer resources, they
work much better.