[Tfug] Ubuntu questions

Malcolm Schmerl mjs355 at comcast.net
Mon Sep 24 12:39:55 MST 2007

christopher floess wrote:
> On 9/24/07, Don Freeman <DFreeman at pagnet.org> wrote:
>
>> Doesn't apt-get require internet access? Or will it pull from the install
>> CD? At this point I'm still working on the modem too.
>>

> Are you doing dial up?

I recently went through getting dial up working on Ubuntu. If you have a
winmodem (internal), it is almost impossible. The reason is that
winmodems use the cpu as a controller and need software to work. The
manufacturers do not update their drivers to the latest linux kernel.  A
good alternative is to get an external modem that has its own
controller. These are readily available on ebay for about $10.
The second problem I ran into was that the dialup ISP that I had been
using had proprietary software that didn't come in a linux form. I
solved the problem by changing ISP to one that uses no software and and
allows you to dial a direct connection (triconet was what I used but
there are probably others). Cable is so much  more simple, but my client
only had dialup available.