[Tfug] Ubuntu questions (was non-technical question)

Earl earljviolet at juno.com
Mon Sep 24 09:30:46 MST 2007

On 9/24/07, Don Freeman <DFreeman at pagnet.org> wrote:
> Hi there, I just installed Ubuntu and am trying to get the modem working. Is
> there a way to open a command window (a la dos) so I can type a series of
> commands without having to type them 1 at a time through the little "run as
> another user" dialog?

There is a terminal called GKSU somewhere in the menu system.  I haven't tried it, honestly, but I think that is what it is supposed to do.

You can also set up a root account if you wish.  That is what I did.

>Also, is there a linux file format similar to the dos
> BATCH file that allows a sequence of commands to be run together?

Bash scripts.  That is probably the shell you are using.  There are some good websites and a few free manuals available.

> finally, how do I go about installing the codecs so I can play my MP3s?

enable all of the repositories and that should do it.

Earl
"God made man, Sam Colt made men equal."
"The fates guide him who will, him who won't they drag" Spengler