[Tfug] non-technical question

christopher floess skeptikos at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 09:14:14 MST 2007

On 9/24/07, Don Freeman <DFreeman at pagnet.org> wrote:
> Hi there, I just installed Ubuntu and am trying to get the modem working. Is
> there a way to open a command window (a la dos) so I can type a series of
> commands without having to type them 1 at a time through the little "run as
> another user" dialog? Also, is there a linux file format similar to the dos
> BATCH file that allows a sequence of commands to be run together? And

While, I'm sure no one appreciates your hijacking the thread, I'll
play along this time.

Though I don't know what the ubuntu menus have on them, you
could always just use the 'run' box to start xterm. From there
you can run multiple commands by separating them semicolons
(;). e.g.

$ ls /usr ; xmms

would show you what's in the /usr directory and then run xmms.

Batch files are just shell scripts. Google 'linux shell scripting' and
you're bound to get endless results.

> finally, how do I go about installing the codecs so I can play my MP3s?

dunno, about this one. My system (FreeBSD) comes with
everything necessary to play mp3's.

Good luck ~ Chris

--
Q: What did the zen buddhist say to the hotdog vendor?

A: Make me one with everything ~ Dr. Jonathan Katz