[Tfug] Video Kiosk

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 22 10:30:59 MST 2007

--- George Cohn <gwcohn at simplybits.net> wrote:

> I've been asked by a friend who works at a hospital
> if it would be
> possible to create a stand alone computer system
> that would play some
> patient education videos.
>
> The videos would be short 10 - 15 minute bits played
> from the hard drive
> with something like mplayer.  Between the videos,
> the machine would show
> a slide show presentation of information, something
> like a power point
> presentation.
>
> The only difficult part of putting this together is
> a front end that
> would allow the staff to program the times that the
> videos played, IE:
> Play video one at 8 AM, when it ends, switch to the
> slide presentation
> until 8:30 AM, play second video, etc.
>
> Anyone have any thoughts on GNU software that could
> be cobbled together
> to do this?  Preferably Debian or Ubuntu as that's
> what I'm most
> familiar with.  Or anyone want to develop this as a
> commercial product?

I've been using Inferno to build simple kiosks.
Biggest problem has been getting "donated" hardware
to work with ??? software (e.g., when you don't have
control over drivers, etc.)

You could probably hack something together to parse
a simple "schedule" file that users could set up with
a text editor, etc.

Inferno's *hosted* (Linux, Solaris, WindBlows, etc.)
performance isn't spectacular but you'r just looking
for a simple "scripting" application.

www.vitanuova.com (IIRC)

HTH,
--don