[Tfug] CAD software that is friendly to Linux

Rich r-lists at studiosprocket.com
Fri Sep 21 13:10:08 MST 2007

On Sep 21, 2007, at 11:04 am, Bexley Hall wrote:

> --- "Eric M. Gearhart" <eric at nixwizard.net> wrote:
>
>> I had a little talk with Mike Riddle (the guy that
>> basically "inspired" AutoCAD) over his company's
>> forum (Evolution Computing)
>>
> http://fastcad.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=000019
>>

>> Looks like their v8 version is on track for a Linux
>> release... he also said he doesn't see a lot of
>> interest in a Linux version, he's doing it " because
>> I believe in it"
>
> Exactly *what* does he believe in -- that software
> should be *open* and supportable by users?  Or,
> that Linux is another market for him/them to tap??
>
> :-(

Hey, "free Unix" doesn't mean "free software". Or "free hardware" for
that matter... (That closed firmware you're using *is* paid for, right?)

I interpret his comment to mean simply what he said: that he believes
in it (Linux). Taking that literal interpretation further, he
believes (to my understanding) in challenging the monopoly in order
to reduce his customers' dependence on a single vendor.

R.