[Tfug] Sound digitizing

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 21 11:23:27 MST 2007

--- Carl Dickason <carl at dickason.org> wrote:

> Brian Murphy wrote:
> >> Beyond that, how much do microphone
> characteristics
> >> etc. play a role in overall quality?
> >>

> > The mics, preamps, and room's sound reflections
> are everything.  This
> > can go as high as your budget allows.
>
> I designed courtroom digital recording systems for
> several years and
> would add only a couple of things to this:
> If you are planning to use any kind of automatic
> gain control, that will
> introduce some other issues.
> If you are doing a lot of recording and need to
> compress, the algorithm
> you use can cause problems. This is less of an issue
> as storage gets
> cheaper.

Sorry, I should have been more explicit  :<  (I keep
forgetting that not *everyone* can read minds... ;>  )
This is a one-shot deal.  I need to build some voices
for festival (et al.).  So, with the possible
exception
of screwing something up on iteration N, it's just
a single pass through the digitizer and then discard
the audio *and* the equipment to digitize it!  :>

> Too great of a source to mic distance is a common
> cause of bad
> recordings in these things since it exacerbates the
> room reflection
> issues and ambient sound problems.

Yes, I've been cautioned that a head mounted mic is
the "Right Way" to go.

I still suspect recording to *tape* may be a win
as I can then re-digitize if I decide I want to
change the sampling rate (without having to
resort to "resampling" the digitized data)