[Tfug] Sound digitizing

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 21 11:08:37 MST 2007

--- Brian Murphy <murphy at coppershadow.com> wrote:

> Bexley Hall wrote:
> > Any suggestions/warnings about trying to digitize
> > sound (specifically, speech) on *any* sort of
> > computer?
> > I suspect the biggest issue is getting away from
> > the "machine noise"?
>
> Most home recorders will use a sound card with
> out-board preamps.  The
> M-Audio Delta 44 is a basic PCI card with a break
> out box for your I/O
> connectors. (no preamps included)
>
> There are also usb/firewire solutions like the
> presonus fp-10 (aka
> firepod).  The firepod is nice because it comes with
> decent quality
> preamps built in.
>
> The first decision to make is how many inputs you
> need.

*One*.  Speech is monophonic.

> > Beyond that, how much do microphone
> characteristics
> > etc. play a role in overall quality?
>
> The mics, preamps, and room's sound reflections are
> everything.  This
> can go as high as your budget allows.

I had assumed a semi-anechoic environment to
remove the last from the equation.  I *still* imagine
that noise generated *by* a "computer" (both audible
and EM/RF) would be the biggest headache.

E.g., I owuld think that recording to traditional
media (e.g., tape) "off line" to eliminate all
of the audible noise sources -- as well as the
portability afforded -- and then dumping that
into a "line in" connection would be a significant
win...?