[Tfug] Pearson Education podcasts and discount

Claude Rubinson rubinson at u.arizona.edu
Thu Sep 20 14:17:46 MST 2007

Hi all,

Wanted to pass along a couple of items from Pearson Education (who
sends us the free books) that I thought might be of interest to some
TFUGgers.

The first is that they've started a free podcast service.  Some of
which actually seem pretty interesting:

- "SourceForge Community Press Publishing"- Parts 1 & 2: Join host Ted
   Neward as he discusses SourceForge Community Press Publishing with
   authors Robin Miller and Ross David Turk

- "Monetization of Open Source" - Parts 1, 2, & 3: Join host Ted
   Neward as he discusses the monetary possibilities in the OpenSource
   community with OpenSource leader Simon Phipps

- "The Open Sourcing of Microsoft" - Parts 1 & 2: Join host Ted Neward
  as he discusses open sourcing and Microsoft with open source
  experts, Sam Ramji, Hank Janssen, Anandeep Pannu, and Tom Hanrahan

Forthcoming episodes include:

- Inside the Software Freedom Law Center with Eben Moglen
- Making Sense of the Second Stage of Linux Growth with Jim
  Zemlin
- The State of Linux with Joe "Zonker" Brockmeier
- Linux Kernel Development with Kristen Accardi

(I've snipped a bunch of others.)

The other thing is that there's a 35% discount for members of
usergroups including TFUG.  This includes A-W Prof, IBM Press, Cisco
Press, as well as Pearson Education and some of the vendors of huge
1,000 page books (not that we want those).  Their original email is a
bit confusing, so I'll just quote what they say:

    * Go to www.informit.com/join
      <https://memberservices.informit.com/my_account/login.aspx?partner=53>
      to sign in

    * Enter the following member code: USERGROUP

    * You are only required to register and apply the member code
      once, but you must be logged in to automatically receive the
      special pricing.

Cheers,

Claude