[Tfug] CAD software that is friendly to Linux

Rich r-lists at studiosprocket.com
Thu Sep 20 12:09:10 MST 2007

On Sep 20, 2007, at 3:01 am, Eric M. Gearhart wrote:

> I had a little talk with Mike Riddle (the guy that basically
> "inspired" AutoCAD) over his company's forum (Evolution Computing)
> http://fastcad.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=000019
>
> Looks like their v8 version is on track for a Linux release... he
> also said he doesn't see a lot of interest in a Linux version, he's
> doing it " because I believe in it"

That's a great discussion. The file dialog is a tricky one. See what
Adobe does -- on the PC, the Adobe dialog is welcome. On Mac, it's
makes no sense. But that's for single files.

A program like FastCAD has to have its fingers in several pies:
drawings, models (both project specific and imported), textures,
rendered images, and so on. Every animation package I've used has had
a different approach to file *organization*; hence has a different
approach to file dialogs.

Once you're in there, it makes complete sense. Even transferring from
one package to another doesn't hurt the brain too much.

He's wrong about some things, but what he's *right* about is the fact
that someone using FastCAD is going to be using that package all day,
every day. File dialogs should indeed be made to fit the task, rather
than some arbitrary platform standard.

On the other hand, something like a text editor, email client or
media player, which deals conceptually only with one file at a time
should adhere to the platform's standards upon which it runs.

Something like GIMP or Photoshop, however, is a mixed philosophy:
some users might be using it only for simple operations like crop,
scale, convert, etc., while others will be using it all day every
day. That's why developing GTK+ under GIMP was such a good idea --
the GIMP developers got to call the shots on the standard! But, back
to my first point, Adobe *doesn't* call the shots, which is why they
have to have a button to switch between Adobe-style and platform-
specific file dialogs, to suit both camps.

Okay, on to the issue of "because I believe in it": That's great. I
hope you can influence some high-end customers to go for a Linux-
based solution. The animation industry believes in it too, and now
Disney, Pixar, ILM, Dreamworks, and a bunch of others all use Linux-
based solutions in their studios. Disney went so far as to develop
WINE so that Photoshop would run nice for them.

However, the CAD industry isn't the animation industry. As Don
illustrated, "WFM" is a difficult hurdle to overcome. Animation is
all new toys and "latest developments" (ironically based on 25 year
old theory that CPUs can barely handle now). CAD is people who long
for their propelling pencils, precision pens and squares. I know I'd
rather dra[f/ugh]t standing up at a big chunk of wood than sitting at
a desk scuttling a chunk of plastic around. Yes, I overstate the case
to illustrate the distinction.

Best of luck anyway. Work on that sales pitch!

R.