[Tfug] Sound digitizing

Brian Murphy murphy at coppershadow.com
Wed Sep 19 17:26:52 MST 2007

Bexley Hall wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Any suggestions/warnings about trying to digitize
> sound (specifically, speech) on *any* sort of
> computer?
> I suspect the biggest issue is getting away from
> the "machine noise"?

Most home recorders will use a sound card with out-board preamps.  The
M-Audio Delta 44 is a basic PCI card with a break out box for your I/O
connectors. (no preamps included)

There are also usb/firewire solutions like the presonus fp-10 (aka
firepod).  The firepod is nice because it comes with decent quality
preamps built in.

The first decision to make is how many inputs you need.

> Beyond that, how much do microphone characteristics
> etc. play a role in overall quality?

The mics, preamps, and room's sound reflections are everything.  This
can go as high as your budget allows.

Brian