[Tfug] Yet another poser

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 19 16:28:09 MST 2007

--- johngalt1 <johngalt1 at uswest.net> wrote:

> [...]

I'm not sure of this.  The whole point of *my* widgets
is that you can insert them with *minimal* and *known*
impact on the interconnections you are modifying.

E.g., I run the "reserved" and "unused" EIA232
signals "straight through" on almost all of my
DB25 (serial) widgets.  "It's just a couple of
extra strands of wire..."

As a result, I can (and often *do*!) cascade
different widgets without introducing any
unexpected side-effects.  E.g., when I *don't*
want the aforementioned signals to pass through,
I insert a M-F widget called "EIA232 defined"
that passes the *defined* EIA232 signals through
and interrupts those that are not.  So, unless
this widget is present, I can count on those
signals being available to me at the end of an
arbitrarly deep "widget stack".

Of course, that's because many old "serial devices"
put things on those extra signals that I *might*
want to have access to -- even though the data
lines aren't as I would want/need them (e.g., null
modem, gender change, etc.).

I don't think this is as common a situation nowadays.
Especially wrt RJ45's.