[Tfug] Yet another poser

Rich r-lists at studiosprocket.com
Wed Sep 19 11:55:36 MST 2007

On Sep 18, 2007, at 3:20 pm, johngalt1 wrote:

> What, a PoE NIC for your PC? Please specify a make and part number.
Amazing. You're right. There aren't any.

I find it amazing, because I expected there to be at least be some
musical equipment that uses PoE, which would need a PoE-capable nic.
Evidently not. I guess that's why God gave us firewire... :-)

Anyway, never mind PoE -- 100Base-T4 and 1000Base-T use all eight
conductors, and can be crossed over. That Graybar cable wouldn't work
with these two standards, while every other cable would.

This is very reminiscent of people who don't give a toss about Web
standards. Their pages become unreadable over time, while those who
*do* stick to the standards produce work that is readable for all
time; because we're not left guessing exactly *which* parts of the
standard they cherry-picked.

R.