[Tfug] Yet another poser

George Cohn gwcohn at simplybits.net
Tue Sep 18 12:36:50 MST 2007

Rich wrote:
> On Sep 14, 2007, at 6:48 pm, Rich wrote:
>
>   - Many chipsets can re-cross a crossover cable automagically. My
> PowerBook, for example, can be connected to a standard network with a
> crossover cable. Similarly, I can connect this to another computer
> (Mac or otherwise) with a straight through cable. I suspect some PoE
> devices might work this way too, so although it's *wrong* and a quick
> hack to use a crossover cable for infrastructure, if it *can* be
> supported, then the cable should be wired appropriately.

Generally speaking, only consumer grade devices will automatically
determine the connection with any cable.  I suspect this was done as a
customer service call avoidance issue as most all commercial stuff
including the Cisco stuff I am familiar with *requires* that you use the
properly configured cable.

George Cohn