[Tfug] Yet another poser

George Cohn gwcohn at simplybits.net
Mon Sep 17 14:57:03 MST 2007

jblais wrote:

> What about the devices that get their power over the wire (something I
> recall or dreamt, for industrial stuff) in which case the signal wires would
> be swapped but not the power.  I don't know iif these devices use the cat5
> wire or some other stuff.

Are you talking about POE (Power over Ethernet)?  This is a standard,
IEEE 802.3af, that specifies how switches and patch panels can provide
power to end devices such a WAP's, VOIP phones, network cameras, etc.

Usually they use two pairs of the 4 pair cat 5e or 6 cable to provide
the power to the end devices.

George Cohn