[Tfug] CAD software that is friendly to Linux

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 17 10:08:32 MST 2007

--- George Cohn <gwcohn at simplybits.net> wrote:

> johngalt1 wrote:
>
> > If you believe the Mayor, Tucson is engineering
> heavy. But
> > his job is that of a cheerleader and selling the
> community.
>
> And he won't be satisfied until his developer
> friends have knocked down
> the last saguaro and paved over it so his car
> friends can sell more cars.  ;-)

<grin>  Actually, it's the "easy way out".  Easier
to "stoke the economy" by paving paradise than it
is to actually pursue decent employers etc.  The
former just involves giving away the store; the
latter requires some actual *skill* to perform
(and I don't think many would consider the mayor
particularly "skilled"  :-/  )

> I see a lot of "call center" type businesses being
> promoted.  Since when
> is that high tech?  As an old telecom person, I can
> tell you that if you
> are lucky, the system being used is server based and
> runs VOIP.
>
> Otherwise, there isn't a lot of high tech involved.
> That gives high
> tech jobs to what, a dozen IT types and the rest are
> part-timers with a pleasant voice?

As a transplant, I see a big difference in "Western"
attitudes (vs. NE).  There doesn't seem to be as
much emphasis on education (at all levels) here as
there is "back east".  *Sports* seem to be the big
deal (e.g., I've had a locksmith refuse to come out
for a "time-and-a-half" service call until "after
the basketball game is over"; I see people setting up
TV's ON SHOPPING CARTS in the aisle at the local Ace
Hardware so patrons can catch a glimpse of "The Game";
etc.).

It just seems that things are more "low key" here.
I.e., kids live at home until they're out of
college (and *then* some!).  And, there's no real
"drive" to "get out and see the world".  Perhaps it
is because things are so spread out/isolated here?
E.g., there are, what, 20 "colleges" in the entire
state?  And that includes all the "little ones"
and community colleges?  (FWIW, I can recall a
bar room "exercise" in which we rattled off 50
schools in Metropolitan Boston -- an area the
size of feenigs? -- and those were just the ones
we considered "well known"  :<  )  Consider, in the
time it takes to drive to feenigs, I could have been
in downtown NYC *or* Beantown with my car already
parked.

> Sorry for the rant, I'm just getting to be a cynical
> old fart!

<grin>  I hope my comments *aren't* taken as a rant
but, rather, as a "genuine observation".  I am
truly puzzled as to how "different" things are,
here.  And, don't know if it is a Tucson-phenomenon
or "Western", etc.  (or, if it's just a sign of
the times)