[Tfug] VOIP

Jon bigj at flatwan.net
Sun Sep 16 11:25:30 MST 2007

johngalt1 wrote:
> As an alternative to land line hell how practical is cheap
> or free VOIP over DSL or cable?  What is the downside?
>
> What do TFUGgers use for this application if anything?
>
> Is DSL pricing dependent on having a landline?
>
> What kind of card do you need to use with an Asterisk server
> to plug in your POTS equipment?
>
> What about unlocking a Linksys PAP2 instead of using
> Asterisk?
>
> I need to use dial-up to access stuff at work.
>
> Questions, questions. TIA

I use vitelity.net for my business voice needs. It's landed on an
asterisk box and the phone is a Cisco 7960. I'm also using a Linksys
WRT54GS V4 with DD-WRT running QoS to help keep the voice quality in
tact on my local network.

I've use an old Intel internal modem which works as an FXO card
(http://www.digitnetworks.com/X100P_FXO_PCI_Card_p/x100p.htm) along with
Asterisk and plugged it in to my Qwest provided line. Since you state
you need to keep a traditional landline for modem needs it sounds like
this may be the route you'll go.

I bought one of the Vonage badged PAP2's and reflashed it. They never
quite work right so don't buy one of those Vonage ones in hope of
getting it to work properly. I promptly returned it. I have two others
models sitting in a bin somewhere but I can't recall the models. They
work just fine.

If you want simplicity buy one of the Linksys or Dlink models, configure
it, setup a soft/hard phone and walk away. If you want to have some real
fun take an old box you have lying around, drop your favorite Linux OS
on it and install Asterisk or Asterisk at Home. The latter being a complete
ISO with web GUI so no preloading of OS needed.

*The Good:*

   1. You can control just about every aspect of your voice needs -
      total flexibility
   2. You get to mess with more Open Source software
   3. If you don't use the phone a lot you stand to save a few dollars
      each month
   4. Did I mention you get to play with Open Source software?

*The Bad:*

   1. When the power goes out so does my VoIP. The remote DSLAMS, as
      best I can tell, do not have a secondary power feed (UPS). Doesn't
      happen all that often. My cell phone is my backup
   2. If you'll be using a SIP/IAX carrier for your in and outbound
      needs you do stand the chance of getting weird audio. Since you
      can only put QoS in place on *your *network once it hits the
      Internet there is no telling what will happen with the data in transit

--
Jon