[Tfug] OSS equivalent of M$ FolderShare?

Paul Lemmons paul at lemmons.name
Tue Sep 11 15:55:38 MST 2007

-------- Original Message  --------
Subject: [Tfug] OSS equivalent of M$ FolderShare?
From: "Angus Scott-Fleming" <angussf at geoapps.com>
To: tfug at tfug.org
Date: 09/11/2007 05:34 AM
> Anyone know of an OSS equivalent to FolderShare (which is a Microsoft Windows
> Live product)?
>
>     FolderShare.com - sync files, sync folders, transfer files, share files,
>     web download, access files anywhere
>     https://www.foldershare.com/

I am kinda interested in this as well and I think the point of the
service in question is being missed by the answers I have seen so far.
It is really easy for two computers running *nix to stay synchronized
when they are on the same network and visible to each other. It is a
different situation all together when your "base" computer is at home on
the cox network and you are sitting with your laptop at work or school
or Coffee eXchange and you want the two to stay in sync. In this
scenario there is NAT, DHCP addressing and firewalls that make this hard
or imposable.

The FolderShare service  acts as a proxy between "base" and "remote" and
supplies a connection regardless of NAT or DHCP addressing (firewalls
still have the ability to get in the way).  So, the question, as I see
it (OP correct me if I have missed the point), is: are there other
choices (OSS desired) out there that supply this service?

--
Sometimes I wonder.  Were our faith able to stand upright and look around, would it be looking down at the mustard seed or standing in awe of the height and bredth of it.