[Tfug] Intel vs. Atheros WiFi driver performance/stability?

John L. Sackett jsackett5 at cox.net
Sun Sep 9 15:43:55 MST 2007

In the 'Doze world, I have the opposite experience. The Intel Drivers
-especially 2-3 years ago (intel pro set) were and are terrible, BSOD's
and Hardware and Memory faults.
In addition under M/S products, the Intel drivers are chatty, and set
off our IDS due to a high amount of association probes. That's the 2200,
and latest Intel ABG nic.  Transfers of large files are impossible to
accomplish >500MB (CD ISO's).  Outdoor use is horrible due to limited
range.
We just got some Atheros 5800 series NIC's and it's like night and day
outdoor range.  We are using Cisco AP's - Cisco uses Atheros.
At home I use a Dlink 520 PCI card as an AP with FreeBSD. Works great.
TKIP and WPA. Old Cisco 350b/abg nics are Atheros and use the same
driver/Utility as Atheros with a Cisco logo.