[Tfug] tar pits

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 7 14:44:26 MST 2007

--- Choprboy <choprboy at dakotacom.net> wrote:

> On Wednesday 29 August 2007 16:52, Bexley Hall
> wrote:
> > Greetings!
> >
> > --- "Jeremy C. Reed" <reed at reedmedia.net> wrote:
> > > Don't cd to /. Just extract them to where you
> want
> > > them. For example xsrc tarball will extract to
> > > usr/xsrc/.
> >
> > Huh?  I thought the leading / was stripped off the
> > files as they were being tar'd up?  (I will have
> > check... is there a way to tell tar *not* to strip
> > the leading /?
>
> Yes, by default tar strips the root directory when
> creating a tarball.
> The -P | --absolute-names leaves it intact. You can
> use --strip-path/--strip-components to remove levels
> of path when untar'ing.

Yes, but this still doesn't explain the original
issue of *one* symlink being clobbered while
another (different tarball) was not!  :-(  I
took a quick peek through the tarballs (tar tvp)
and couldn't see anything *obvious* to explain the
different behaviours.  <shrug>  It's not really an
"issue" any longer (since it was easy to "fix"
things after the fact) but, rather, more of a
curiosity/puzzle...