[Tfug] Setting [u|f]mask on a bind mount

Glen Pfeiffer glen at thepfeiffers.net
Wed Sep 5 11:38:18 MST 2007

On 09/01/2007 05:17 PM, John Gruenenfelder wrote:
> The solution I use is a local NFS mount.  The NFS export is
> localhost:/root/snapshot and it is mounted at /snapshot as a
> read-only filesystem.
>
> Mount's bind option won't work for this because when the mount
> point is remounted as read-write the bind mount would be too.
>
> Since this goes over the loopback interface it is quite fast,
> but I'm sure it's not nearly as fast as a bind mount.  Keep
> this in mind.

NFS is a good idea; I will try it out. I am currently using a
Samba mount because I needed to share with a Win box also, but it
seems pretty slow. And I have another machine that also mounts
this drive, so switching to NFS is probably a good idea. Though I
wonder if having both Samba and NFS shares of the same directory
is a bad idea.

My reasons for this stem from paranoia. I see no reason to allow
the world read access by default. Since it is on my home network
it is overkill, but I like to prepare for the unknown. For
example: I will have house guests that I want to allow to use one
of my computers. But I don't want them to have read access to the
shared "family" documents. So I want documents created within
that directory to have permissions of 660.

--
Glen