[Tfug] Got a weird Samba issue...

Jim Secan jim at nwra.com
Tue Sep 4 08:09:49 MST 2007

I've been living with this same problem for several years, and bottom line
appears to be as Rich says - you just live with it.  If anyone has a clue
as to why the samba folks don't get this to work right ("bug" or
"unexpected behavior") I'd like to know.  To me this flies in the face of
free software's claim that broken things are fixed quickly.  As I said,
I've been living with this for years now.

Also, if anyone knows how to make this work as "expected", that would be
nice to know as well.

(different) Jim

At 04:05 PM 9/2/2007 -0700, Rich wrote:
>Jim,
>Just set it up the way Windows wants it: guest, no password. This is
>a bug in Samba, where "bug" == "unexpected behaviour". When you
>replace a Windows file share with Samba, you don't expect it to go
>asking for passwords by default.
>
>Although it's insecure, it's a hell of a lot more secure than what
>you replaced!
>
>R.
>

>On Sep 2, 2007, at 3:09 am, Jim March wrote:
>
>> I recently had a close encounter with what's probably the worst file
>> server in Tucson.
>>
>> Athlon XP 1.6 CPU, 128megs memory running, I kid you not, Win98.  At a
>> friend's law office.  Ye Gods.  Needed it's daily reboot or it would
>> freeze up like Sylvester Stallone would if you handed him a REAL gun.
>> OK, that had to go.
>>
>> So I've set up a basic little Ubuntu server out of it after adding
>> 512megs RAM :).  There's only five desks total in a small law office
>> and it's a low-bandwidth situation so that'll do for now.
>>
>> I got Samba running, did some shares, it's all good.  Even got a
>> working USB connection to a new APC UPS :).
>>
>> But.
>>
>> The Windows stations don't want to auto-reconnect to the shares while
>> remembering the username/password they're supposed to use.  Each boot
>> of the WinXP boxes, they need to be manually connected to at least one
>> share and the password entered - then everything's fine.
>>
>> Ehhh...huh?
>>
>> Any clues welcome...
>>
>> Jim

| Jim Secan           | Northwest Research Assoc, Inc |
| (jim at nwra.com)      | 2455 E. Speedway, Suite 204   |
| (520) 319-7773      | Tucson, Arizona 85719         |