[Tfug] Got a weird Samba issue...

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Sun Sep 2 03:09:25 MST 2007

I recently had a close encounter with what's probably the worst file
server in Tucson.

Athlon XP 1.6 CPU, 128megs memory running, I kid you not, Win98.  At a
friend's law office.  Ye Gods.  Needed it's daily reboot or it would
freeze up like Sylvester Stallone would if you handed him a REAL gun.
OK, that had to go.

So I've set up a basic little Ubuntu server out of it after adding
512megs RAM :).  There's only five desks total in a small law office
and it's a low-bandwidth situation so that'll do for now.

I got Samba running, did some shares, it's all good.  Even got a
working USB connection to a new APC UPS :).

But.

The Windows stations don't want to auto-reconnect to the shares while
remembering the username/password they're supposed to use.  Each boot
of the WinXP boxes, they need to be manually connected to at least one
share and the password entered - then everything's fine.

Ehhh...huh?

Any clues welcome...

Jim