[Tfug] Desktop Publishing Software

Judd Pickell pickell at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 15:40:14 MST 2007

Scribus I believe is probably your best bet, as the really good
desktop publishing stuff is all very non-linux friendly. Of course you
could hackishly make InDesign, or QuarkExpress work, but then you
would still have to shell out the cash. In my searches before, Scribus
seems to always be the one that comes up.

However on your points of needs: I am not sure that it is entirely
scriptable, but that is usually not a big problem, as I don't know of
many that allow for that type of exporting anyways. When I worked  at
the Indianapolis Star Newspaper, they paid 300K for a system to do
that. But I am guessing that if you can export the files into a XML
structure you would be able to make it web usable. Just don't recall
if I saw that that as a feature or not when I was looking to Scribus
to replace InDesign.

Sincerely,
Judd Pickell