[Tfug] modem and router combo

Earl earljviolet at juno.com
Fri Oct 26 16:34:48 MST 2007

Now they include a 2-wire, or at the last couple I set up did.  It makes the Actiontec look great.

Earl

"God made man, Sam Colt made men equal."
"The fates guide him who will, him who won't they drag" Spengler

-- "Jim March" <1.jim.march at gmail.com> wrote:
The Qwest DSL standard install uses a crude little Actiontech
(spelling?) DSL modem with a WiFi antenna (that's usually disabled)
and primitive routing to a single Ethernet port.  Oh, and USB if you
want (not for Linux though unless you're a masochist).

Beast Buy has an Actiontech DSL modem/router that's more advanced -
true router, four Ethernet ports out, WiFi with full WPA/etc. security
for $90 last I checked - and Qwest DOES support that thing no problem.

But that's a rare situation.  A much more common situation with cable
or DSL is that the ISP only supports those "house-brand" modems they
distribute.  From there you run Ethernet to an external router of some
sort.

If you buy a cable modem with integrated router from some other source
there's no guarantee you'll get it working and no possibility of
support from the ISP.

Hence it's almost always easier to deal with the situation with two
boxes: modem and router.

Tucson Free Unix Group - tfug at tfug.org
Subscription Options: