[Tfug] modem and router combo

George Cohn gwcohn at simplybits.net
Fri Oct 26 14:12:03 MST 2007

Earl wrote:
> -- "christopher floess" <skeptikos at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Alright, here's the thing. I think my modem is dying. I do
>>understand the different between a router and modem.
>>I was just hoping to get all in: coax in, several ethernet
>>jacks out. For some reason I thought I'd seen this. Why
>>have two little boxes when you can have just one?
>

>    I have this with DSL, an Actiontec that is a modem and router.  There is also a firewall built in.  I don't know if this is available or not for cable.  The last time I used cable, we had a separate modem and router/firewall because we already had the modem when we decided to add more computers.

The commercial grade Cisco stuff has this capability as well.  I have a
Cisco 2600 router with an ADSL card.  That provides the Qwest DSL
connection, DHCP, NAT, and routing capabilities.  It's connected to a
Cisco 2900 XL 12 port switch which breaks out the connections to my
various machines and WAP's.

Often times you can find this stuff on eBay.  Sometimes the asset
recovery companies are almost giving it away.  I think the router cost
me less than $100.  The ADSL card is harder to find.

George Cohn