[Tfug] modem and router combo

Predrag Punosevac punosevac72 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 10:38:07 MST 2007

LinkSys is getting bad reputation at least of what I read lately on
NewEgg.com. Apparently they started
putting very cheap junk chip-sets. When I looked it in the Wall-Mart I was
extremely annoyed by the label on
the box that requires XP Winblows or Mac OS and that is shipped with CD.
That is a very bad indication even though
they probably work with other OS as long as they have a chip-set on the
rauter itself.

Personally I have great experience with SMC products. I have separate
Motorolla Modem that came
with my Qwest subscription and rock solid SMC WI router (this is the
second in my life as first one got fried after 5 years).
However you can get everything in one. Qwest does offer Motorolla combo
which I turned down as I already had SMC wireless access point.
SMC wi routers do supports WEP (which I would not use it but for instance
in OpenBSD is the only option) and
WPA/WPA2 protocols and are fully OS independent as they are based on
Atheros chip-sets and
all administration is done via web like CUPS administration.

This is one candidate for you
http://www.smc.com/index.cfm?event=viewProduct&localeCode=EN_USA&cid=2&scid=19&pid=1505

But I would check carefully their website
http://www.smc.com/index.cfm?event=viewCategory&localeCode=EN_USA&cid=2

I hope this helps.
Predrag