[Tfug] Any SQL gurus out there?

Claude Rubinson rubinson at u.arizona.edu
Thu Oct 25 21:07:20 MST 2007

On Thu, Oct 25, 2007 at 08:47:52PM -0700, Jim March wrote:
> Guys, sorry for not keeping up with this thread after starting it.
> A friend had surgery today (nothing too major) but helping her past
> that took priority.

Hope your friend is okay.

> Let's please try and keep this in the group, no cross-posting,
> m'kay?

Not possible to guarantee.  Archives are public.  If you want to keep
something private, don't post to a public mailing list.

> The county is claiming that there's "program code" inside the
> database and cite a warped view of a state law to claim that
> "election programs" cannot be released under public records, even to
> a political party (which has special oversight rights under AZ
> election law).

Such an interpretation is a matter of law and must be interpreted by
the courts.  Technically, there's no difference and it's impossible to
distinguish between the "database" and the "code."  Remember, it's all
just ones and zeros.  Talk to lawyer.

> What I'm trying to get at is, under these circumstances, isn't
> burying "program code" in the relational MS-Access (Jet) database a
> peculiar practice degrading the MS-Access security even further and
> opening up last-minute code mods with just a copy of MS-Access?
> (Which might be describable as "interpreted code"?)

Theoretically, sure.  But there's no way for anyone to really answer
such a question without looking at the database, code, environment,
etc.  What matters is what's happening in practice, not in theory.
You need to hire an expert.

Claude