[Tfug] modem and router combo

Ronald Sutherland ronald.sutherland at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 20:26:08 MST 2007

for some reason I get confused with this question,
a modem modulates and demodulates information within a transport medium
(sound, light, electronic potential, gravitational potential...)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modem

and routers do something to select paths and control the flow of data

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Router

I think of the cable as the transport medium, I guess they could say
cable modem router, but why? Normally I would say "pick one that your
service provider recommends", but it looks like the DOCSIS specification
is the only one. So pick one that has the most newegg comments, and is
mostly liked (electronics is mostly crap so I look for the best of the bad).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cable_modem