[Tfug] Any SQL gurus out there?

Claude Rubinson rubinson at u.arizona.edu
Thu Oct 25 17:37:38 MST 2007

On Thu, Oct 25, 2007 at 07:15:46PM -0400, Andrew Halper wrote:
> Usually I'd agree with that, however, there is one exception I can
> think of. The Ingres database stores database procedure code in the
> "system catalog", which is a schema of ordinary database tables with
> some special access constraints.

Is this code that Ingres uses internally?  Or for the user's use?  If
the former, a lot of RDBMS do similar things basically as a way of
limiting dependencies, ensuring portability, etc.  I think of that as
a special case (it always reminds me of writing a compiler in its own
language) that doesn't affect the user's development of a database
schema.

Claude