[Tfug] How I attacked my computer

Jeremy D Rogers jdrogers at optics.arizona.edu
Tue Oct 9 12:08:18 MST 2007

On 10/6/07, Claude Rubinson <rubinson at u.arizona.edu> wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 06, 2007 at 03:32:12PM -0700, Paul Scott wrote:
> > Earl wrote:
> > > I didn't think FVWM was at fault.  I now understand Nop and how
> > > menus work much better.  Unix is "What you say is what you get."
> > > Intentions don't count.  Is this politically correct?
> > >
> > That's how all computers work.  They always do what you tell them, not
> > what you want them to do unless you tell them the right thing.
>
> It's been a long, long time since you've used Windows, Paul, hasn't
> it?  ;-)

It's been quite a while since I used windows also, but I remember an
awful lot of "you get what windows *knows* you meant even if you are
pretty sure you said exactly what you meant". Especially in MSword
with auto-replace/indent/numbered-lists/bullets/alignment/spelling/words/grammar/content/subject-matter/language/spelling-of-your-own-name

Hrm.. I was in a pretty good mood today until remembering how much of
my life I lost to that kind of nonsense. Now I'm all angry again.
Thanks. I'll probably start having clippy nightmares again now.
JDR