[Tfug] Ventrilo client under Linux

Chris Martin themonkeymoo at gmail.com
Sat Oct 6 13:28:42 MST 2007

Eric M. Gearhart wrote:
> Have you tried running winecfg and trying different settings under the audio tab?
>
> What made me think about that was this article:
> http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/winereview/~3/161431304/windows-media-player-9-10-on-linux-with.html
>
> Have you tried using various different options like "Emulation" and whatnot? Just a thought.

sorry for the delay in responding.

I had tried all of the various options available in winecfg on the audio
tab with no changes. What finally worked was making custom scripts to
launch vent and wow. After I got that to work, I rewrote the commands in
the launchers on my desktop (so I have my pretty icons back); I
basically copy-pasted the commands from the launch scripts into the
command box. For some reason aoss wasn't being invoked with the default
(in the auto-generated launchers) syntax of:
wine "/home/path to program/program.exe"
so I had to rewrite it:
wine /home/path\ to\ program/program.exe

I am clueless as to why the quoted path would launch the program but not
wrap the sound in aoss but escaping the spaces works.
Also, I had to ditch the alias'wine=aoss wine' in my .bashrc (as it
seemed to do nothing) and manually invoke aoss in the commands.

 My sound output is vent isn't the best (it's been fairly accurately
described as me standing near a helicopter), but it's intelligible and
no longer explodes people headphones (or eardrums). Now if just I could
get my .NET apps to run in linux, I'd once again have no reason to boot
windows.