[Tfug] MS .NET source code--look but don't touch

Jude Nelson judecn at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 13:24:30 MST 2007

@Glenn:

Did I say "are"?  That was a typo--I meant "will soon be" (I have a
bad habit of confusing near-current software and current software).
Either way, I'm staying clear for now.

@Andrew:

While Mono is legal *now* because it shares no code from MS.NET, all
it would take to change that is for one Mono contributor (not even one
of the core developers) to sneak a peak at the MS source, write a
patch against Mono, and get the developers to accept it.  Regardless
of whether or not that developer was truly influenced by the MS source
is irrelevant--Mono would be potentially tainted enough to be taken to
court for copyright infringement.  Microsoft would be able to keep a
tab on who agreed to look at their source, and just watch the Mono
project's developer mailing list for a while until they see something
that looks a bit *too* similar to their code or they see someone who
they know looked at their source successfully submit a patch.  The
core developers can't verify whether or not the patch was inspired or
copied from MS--to do so authoritatively would be to look at the
MS.NET source themselves and make the comparison--so they have no way
of knowing how valid an external patch may be, and since Mono and .NET
implement the same interface (the .NET languages), there's bound to be
similar-looking code between the two anyway.  Basically, Microsoft is
attempting to dissolve the inter-developer trust in the authenticity
of Mono's code.  It's a dirty con trick, but both Microsoft and the
Mono developers know that Miguel de Icaza doesn't have the man-power
to maintain a clean-room environment (I can't say I feel bad for de
Icaza--he should have known he had it coming).

Regards,
Jude