[Tfug] MS .NET source code--look but don't touch

Andrew Ayre andy at britishideas.com
Fri Oct 5 09:22:44 MST 2007

My understanding (which may be wrong) is that Mono is a
re-implementation of .NET (which is legal), not copying of code. The
only questionable areas might be the copyright on the APIs and patents...

Also I thought that Microsoft had submitted various parts of the system,
like C# and MSIL to a standards body (ECMA?) to make them open standards
for anyone to implement. Might this cover the .NET APIs?

Isn't Mono backed by Novell? I guess that is a whole other can of worms,
but my impression of the patent deal is that Microsoft and Novell are
equally afraid of being sued by the other so they agreed to not do
anything to each other - i.e. Cold War.

Andy

Jude Nelson wrote:
> This is yet another reason why I don't use GNOME--most of it's applets
> are written in C# and depend on mono.
>
> On 10/5/07, Eric M. Gearhart <eric at nixwizard.net> wrote:
>> Does anyone else have the urge to STAY AS FAR AWAY as possible from anything
>> MS releases under 'Shared Source'? It sounds like anything else you work on
>> after signing that NDA would possibly be 'tainted' by MS's intellectual
>> property.
>>
>> This is quite a turnaround from their CEO Steve Ballmer calling Open Source
>> a 'cancer.' I guess in step one you try to scare people away, and when that
>> doesn't work step two is pretend to dip your toe into what you previously
>> tried to scare people away from.
>>
>> --
>> Eric
>> http://nixwizard.net