[Tfug] peltier?

Sean Warburton hl2addict at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 21:08:20 MST 2007

Actually, you bring up an interesting point. First off, the waterblock is
the component where the hoses go into and on the other side is a flat copper
surface where the cpu sits. heat from the cpu goes through the copper on
fins that are submerged in the cycling coolant. Back to my point: When I
lowered the speed of the pump (I know it's not scientific, but I went down
from '5' where I had left it and tried the other values. I am not sure what
the flow rate of the lower numbers are). Around '3' or maybe even '2.5'
(it's just a potentiometer with numbers etched in the side of the pump) the
temperature lowered about 5 degrees celcius, leading me to conclude that the
water was moving over the fins too fast to effectively transfer the heat.
I'll stand outside the PAS building and see who is interested:)
John- I think I was following that train of thought ("My CPU under load
consumes about 225 watts of power, and a portion of that (65 watts) is
transfered into heat. I will have .9246 degrees celcius per watt to remove,
and for a 65 watt processor, that comes out to 60.1 degrees per unit of
time"-remember those units?), but I know pretty much nothing about that area
of expertise. I will update you guys when a larger reservoir comes in the
mail it will be twice as big as the current one...
     Sean

On 10/2/07, johngalt1 <johngalt1 at uswest.net> wrote:

> What is the relationship of this reservoir to the radiator?
> Maybe the CPU thermal package,  radiator or reservoir is
> malsized...
>
> How much heat can the 120 mm radiator with fan of 120 mm
> sink, considering efficicncies? Compare this to the CPU heat
> rate and efficiency. Then, is the fluid mass and associated
> transfer sufficient or overboard?
>
> >From Sean, I continue to hear about quantities & units like
> 120 mm and 5000 frags and 320 gph. What about the heat
> balance? That's where the rubber meets the road.
>
> eg: the cooling thing attached to the CPU under particular
> conditions can sink so much, and so on for each component in
> the system.
>
> Or, you could do this empirically by measuring the
> temperature on each side of the CPU and then on each side of
> the radiator. What is the temperature difference across each
> unit as a function of time? (for the worst case)
>
> This gives you a clue about how much heat each component
> transfers.
>
> If you are at the UofA, consider finding a Mechanical
> Engineer candidate that is going though or had
> Thermodynamics training.
>
> It's too bad the UofA discontinued the environmentally
> responible regimen of nuclear recycliing. I blame that
> anti-environmentalist, Jimmy Carter for this.He discontinued
> recycling of nuclear fuels. That is nutty.
>
> Before you flame me, consider that nuke plants do not plan
> for you to breathe in their waste, unlike fossil fuel
> bastards.
>
> Is the CPU simply jacketed by cooling fluid, or is the CPU
> attached to some type of heatsink that the cooling fluid
> flows through?
>
> If you can't or don't care to work out the calculations, Why
> not put an additional radiator/fan in series or parallel
> with the existing one?
>
> Between the (computational) egghead analysis method and the
> (empirical) shadetree mechanic method, this problem is
> doable with existing pieces of hardware, IMO
>
> just mess with it a little.

PC-BSD v.1.4 (beta)