[Tfug] BOFH: You think you know a guy...

William Stott WStott at ventanamed.com
Mon Oct 1 13:47:47 MST 2007

Uhm, I own multiple Macs. I missed the rest of this thread, but I would just leave this for thought:

If your primary purpose is only available in a Windows environment, it does not make sense to use anything else. It is painful to see a few of the people at my work that ordered a Mac for the 'cool factor' only to put Parallels / Windows on their Mac and never use the OS X environment.

On the other hand, if you plan on using a portable array of applications that run in a Mac OS X environment, then why not? Cost?  It's a decision you have to make on your own. Many people that purchase a system only look at what others SAY about operating systems, they rarely find the facts out on their own.

Example:

My wife had the need for a computer. Something portable, that could play movies for the kids, handle her photos, email, scheduling, and internet access for research were the requirements. Cost was a concern (because it was coming out of my pocket), and usability was a concern (becuase she is a complete beginner with computers). In the above requirements, there is no reference to anything specific to windows, so the options were open. I chose a Mac for her. Why? Here's why:

1) Macs do have a user friendly environment (and she does not have prior windows experience to transfer so that is not a set back)
2) It is true that Macs have a great chance to be compatible with the current (and future) USB devices that my wife has. // This was proven after we bought it.
3) The Mac met all of the above requirements without any need for extra software (of course, I installed more, but it was not necessary).
4) The video display is great, and although they are limited in video options, they also make the choices easy and their hardware is stable.
5) Support is a one stop shop...hardware and software are supported at the same place (and we have had to use it). Although I would not call the techs at the Apple Store 'genius,' they are very helpful once they understand that I am not a beginner.
7) In the end, we have almost all Macs in the house now (just waiting for a good replacement to Media Center **NOTE: Myth was not an option for me this time***).
8) So, as a family we have --> iPods, iPhones, and Macs. They are so easy that the kids can use them (without destroying anything), and I can do anything the a windows / linux user can do or would want to...

Say what you want about Macs, I do not mind, and I probably would not defend them. They work for me, in business and home, and for my family. Plus, I have FreeBSD, SUSE, and Windows running, and I am not missing anything that I can see.

Thanks,

Will