[Tfug] Politics, Religion, trolls and Linux

johngalt1 johngalt1 at uswest.net
Wed May 30 16:57:41 MST 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Quag7" <coldfront at frostwarning.com>
To: "Tucson Free Unix Group" <tfug at tfug.org>
Sent: Tuesday, May 29, 2007 2:21 PM
Subject: Re: [Tfug] Politics, Religion, trolls and Linux

-snip-

> As for divisive political, moral, or social issues, there's a third way of
> looking at these things that, unfortunately, people miss.  And I can't be
> the
> only one who, borrowing a line from Hunter S. Thompson, can state for
> certain, that it *still hasn't gotten weird enough for me.*
>
> Consider the horrible genercization - New Jerseyfication - of Tucson
> that's
> going on now.  We're forced into this phony binary choice (again) of
> either
> having some perverse knock-off of free market capitalism wherein the
> entire
> landscape becomes marred with garish corporate logos, cruddy food (why in
> hell does Taco Bell even exist in Tucson?), and shoddily made, fetishized
> consumer products that do nothing but serve as a poor fit for the empty
> hole
> of a soul so many consumers are trying to fill, or else we go the
> pretentious
> Santa Fe route which locks out young entrepreneurs, affordable products,
> and
> puts up a synthetic southwestern veneer for us to ooh and ah at while we
> fork
> money over for Japanese-imported "authentic locally made" blankets and the
> like.  Well, screw that.
>
> All I have ever wanted is for places to be different.  I want weirdos,
> freaks,
> religious nutcases, adherents to a rainbow of ridiculous political
> philosophies and sexual orientations, mainstream Christians and Jews, and
> fire jugglers and astronauts.  Auto-erotic defenestration.  Kennedy
> assassination buffs at Japanese grills, discussing the follies of
> vanguardism
> with primitivist anarchists wearing felt hats and Tales from Topographic
> Oceans t-shirts.  Fruitarian objectivist geolibertarians screaming at
> Marxist-Lenininsts about Hegel while preparing, jointly with Food Not
> Bombs,
> a regulation CRON-diet compliant meal complete with local offerings like
> the
> superb cheap chipotle peppers you can get down at the 17th Street Farmers
> Market.  I want to see the Rabbi from the Rincon Market there refereeing
> the
> debate.  I want to see Bob Walkup in full infantilist getup, diapers and
> all.

Nearly lost my lunch over that one....

Why don't you take another hit?

This is all very amusing, but it seems anarchist to me. With all that
diversity, people would have nothing in common, except their weirdness and
substance habits.

We have places where this type of element rules. One is called San Francisco
bay area. To perpetuate that mentality, we would be pushovers for national
conquest.

Fourth Avenue is cool to visit, but, I don't want to live there. Freak
communes do not form the basis of stable civilization.