[Tfug] Politics, Religion, trolls and Linux

Quag7 coldfront at frostwarning.com
Tue May 29 14:21:41 MST 2007

You know, there are probably thousands of lists I can subscribe to where
people discuss, dryly, nothing but computers.  There are web forums, and
there are print magazines.

One thing I miss from the BBS era is that sense of community and shared
experience; localized or regional lists can foster this in unique ways, and
while I rarely post here I read most of what people say, and it's not for me
to say, not my list, but I'd far rather subscribe to a list that was about a
bunch of people who had an interest in common (as a sort of facilitator)
rather than a list that was always on topic, all of the time.  The on-topic
all of the time thing seems to pervade the internet, and I'm pretty bored
with it.  For me, the internet has always been about people and
personalities, to the extent that I find people, and especially wit,
entertaining.  It is not a binary choice anyway, and looking at the subject
headers in my mail folder, this list is a perfect example of that.

As for divisive political, moral, or social issues, there's a third way of
looking at these things that, unfortunately, people miss.  And I can't be the
only one who, borrowing a line from Hunter S. Thompson, can state for
certain, that it *still hasn't gotten weird enough for me.*

Consider the horrible genercization - New Jerseyfication - of Tucson that's
going on now.  We're forced into this phony binary choice (again) of either
having some perverse knock-off of free market capitalism wherein the entire
landscape becomes marred with garish corporate logos, cruddy food (why in
hell does Taco Bell even exist in Tucson?), and shoddily made, fetishized
consumer products that do nothing but serve as a poor fit for the empty hole
of a soul so many consumers are trying to fill, or else we go the pretentious
Santa Fe route which locks out young entrepreneurs, affordable products, and
puts up a synthetic southwestern veneer for us to ooh and ah at while we fork
money over for Japanese-imported "authentic locally made" blankets and the
like.  Well, screw that.

All I have ever wanted is for places to be different.  I want weirdos, freaks,
religious nutcases, adherents to a rainbow of ridiculous political
philosophies and sexual orientations, mainstream Christians and Jews, and
fire jugglers and astronauts.  Auto-erotic defenestration.  Kennedy
assassination buffs at Japanese grills, discussing the follies of vanguardism
with primitivist anarchists wearing felt hats and Tales from Topographic
Oceans t-shirts.  Fruitarian objectivist geolibertarians screaming at
Marxist-Lenininsts about Hegel while preparing, jointly with Food Not Bombs,
a regulation CRON-diet compliant meal complete with local offerings like the
superb cheap chipotle peppers you can get down at the 17th Street Farmers
Market.  I want to see the Rabbi from the Rincon Market there refereeing the
debate.  I want to see Bob Walkup in full infantilist getup, diapers and all.
I want to see a Woodstock-sized horde of Ronstadts massing on Pusch Ridge in
kilts.  I want to see a poisonously drunk Diana Ross hang glide into town
with a meth-addled Glen Campbell singing MacArthur Park in a salute to the
songs of Jimmy Webb.

In the middle of it all I want to see a massive LAN party, maybe down in
Presidio Park, but with a new, ported version of M.U.L.E. that 500 people can
play simultaneously.  I want schwarma, gyros, and tamales hot, cheap, and
available.  And lots of beer.

I want to see tit for tat exorcisms between warring Pentecostal factions,
warrior monks showing up at Joy Division tribute concerts, flying, burning,
screaming Fruit of the Loom Y-fronts as the only thing blotting out my view
of the beautiful mountains that surround this town.

So a Creationist museum?  You know what, I'm not a creationist, but I'd sure
as hell rather see one of those downtown than another Taco Bell.    The
opportunities for everything from Subgenius devivals to avant garde
performance art to fry bread sales in front of this thing alone would make it
worth it.  I'd like to see more Scottish Rite freemason temples built next to
it, encircling it in league with, perhaps, a Mormon Temple and perhaps a
modern version of PHOTON - the original laser tag.

F this Rio Nuevo crap.  Down with everything that is boring and trite and
played-out and safe and inoffensive.

Now that being said, I wanted to tell you what I think of Richard Stallman:

Just kidding.

Seriously, bring the Creationist museum here.  Perhaps they could have a war
of words with Antigone Books in the Tucson Weekly.  We could have Tom Danehy
and Emil Franzi each take a side and them arm-wrestle each other to settle
it.  We could have Jimmy Bogle, naked and covered in Nico's superb green and
red hot sauces, on the newly announced Alpine slide down the Tucson
Mountains.  Anything but more McMansions!

This isn't about ridicule.  This is about not being boring.  This is about
originality.  I will take a snake-handling creationist in Mormon
undergarments who has a spark of originality in his soul over the dry
rationalists who I agree with but bore the living crap out of me every day.

My priorities have changed.

KDE is objectively better than Gnome.

  -Quag7