[Tfug] Bulk OpenOffice Conversion

Paul Scott waterhorse at ultrasw.com
Thu May 24 08:34:21 MST 2007

Jim Secan wrote:
> I need to convert a large number of ASCII data files (column format, space
> delimited) to OO Calc format, and from there to Excel format (customer is
> tied to MS products).  Far too many to use the GUI approach.  After some
> fruitless googling, I thought I'd ask if anyone has used, or know of, shell
> or python tools that can do this conversion from the command line.

1, Most spreadsheet programs read .csv (comma separated value) files. I
just opened two csv files with one File/Open with OOCalc.  Obviously a
series in a directory could be selected with shift-click.  And this
could probably be done directly with Excel.

2. MS Office programs can all be invoked with the .net version of a
fairly simple VB program.

Paul Scott