[Tfug] Bulk OpenOffice Conversion

Jim Secan jim at nwra.com
Thu May 24 08:30:18 MST 2007

At 08:14 AM 5/24/2007 -0700, you wrote:
>Do you need to manipulate the data in OO Calc? If not then perl is very good
>at parsing ASCII files and outputting CSV which can then be imported in
>Excel. For example I use rtrim() to parse an ASCII file that uses fixed
>column widths. split() can be used to split a line on spaces, etc.

Space-delimited files can be imported as easily (or, more to the point,
with as much manual labor) as CSV files.  I need a utility that will take
any ASCII column-format text file and convert it into an OO Calc-format
file, or even better (in this context) into an MS Excel-format file.  I
don't want to have to go into the OO GUI at all.  The customer wants/needs
Excel-format files, not files that must be imported and converted in some
fashion.  (I'd also like to be able to add some simple formatting
information as well, but that's just window-dressing, pun intended).

Jim
| Jim Secan           | Northwest Research Assoc, Inc |
| (jim at nwra.com)      | 2455 E. Speedway, Suite 204   |
| (520) 319-7773      | Tucson, Arizona 85719         |