[Tfug] Microsoft reportedly wants open source software users to pa y rolyalties

Anthony Hess runenfool at gmail.com
Fri May 18 08:58:24 MST 2007

Its kind of funny because they went and copied the object oriented
programming and email/networking into the NeXT - which gave inspiration to
Berners-Lee in making the WWW.

Anyway - my argument was never really that there wasn't some inspiration
given by the Xerox work but that it was far from a copy or "stolen" as Bill
Gates would have people remember.  Windows, on the other hand, was very much
a copy of the Mac.  As a side note, the Lisa project began the year before
the visit of Jobs to Xerox in 79 and Im pretty sure it was already going to
have a GUI.  And I think Raskin started on the Mac in 79 before ever having
seen the Xerox work.

To be sure its convoluted history and everyone is inspired by someone else
to one degree or another.  To tie it back into the original thread I think
its pretty amazing how Microsoft can make those threats when they
essentially did the same thing to Apple that the Linux community is doing to
them.

Tony