[Tfug] Microsoft reportedly wants open source software users to pa y rolyalties

Anthony Hess runenfool at gmail.com
Thu May 17 21:39:11 MST 2007

Yea, I was just saying in a silly way that it wasn't true that Apple stole
much of anything from Xerox even if it has been repeated around the web a
few million times.

Gates *did* say that to Jobs, but that didn't make it true.  Xerox did have
the earlier GUI, but it really wasn't like the Mac pretty much at all.
Windows, on the other hand, was much like the Mac.  Just do some digging -
besides both being GUIs and both having windows/mice etc. there wasn't a lot
in common there.  And Apple was already working on a graphical interface
before any of them had seen the PARC work anyway.

I don't think its a bad thing Apple had bad lawyers either - had the GUI
decisions and inventions of Apple been locked down then the world wouldn't
be using them in other operating systems :)

Tony